From the history of the Soviet stereo cinema

1925, A. Kaufman begins work on the use of stereoscopes for cinematography.

1926 N. Klempner invents and demonstrates the stereokineography method based on the use of colored anaglyphs.

1932 E. Bryukhonenko, Mikhailovsky, Kachkachyan begin work on the application of the obturation separation method. images and continued these works until 1936 .
On April 29, 1935, S. Ivanov submitted an application for the invention of a raster stereo screen .for the demonstration of stereo films.

1936 E. Goldovsky and A. Levington developed a stereo cinematography system with projection by the anaglyphic subtractive method. For projection, a deep film was used, i.e. a film copy with two emulsion layers, one on each side of the base. One of the layers was the carrier of the left image, and the other was the carrier of the right image. Each layer was painted in its own color. The projection was carried out without light filters. The audience used red and blue glasses.
On February 23, 1936, S. Ivanov submitted an application for a high-speed raster screen .

1937 S. Ivanov and N. Filippov produce a light-absorbing raster stereo screen on glass measuring 110 cm x 70 cm and demonstrate an experimental video. Under the leadership of B. Ivanov, a raster wire screen with dimensions of 2.25 m in width and 3 m in height was developed and manufactured.

1939 E. Termetsky offers an improved design of a raster stereo screen with vibrating raster grids. For the first time such a screen was developed by E. Noyon (Belgium) in 1928.
Under the leadership of N. Valyusa designed (designer V. Omelin) and manufactured a two-lens camera for shooting stereo films on two films. The tape-stretching mechanism of the device stretched two standard films. The dimensions and location of the stereo pair frame on the film corresponded to the standard frame of a conventional film (22 mm x 16 mm).

1940. Organization of the first experimental stereoscopic projection without glasses on a glass light-absorbing screen measuring 110 cm x 70 cm at the Soyuzdet-Film studio.

The calculation has been completed and the world's first stereo screen with a light-absorbing wire raster with dimensions of 3.25 m in width and 5 m in height has been constructed. Shooting of the stereoscopic film “Concert” (directed by A. Andrievsky, cinematographer D. Surensky) with stereo pair frames placed on one film. Two frames of the stereo pair were positioned side by side on a standard 35 mm film within a standard frame pitch equal to four perforations. The image format is vertical. The frame size of the stereo pair is 11 mm x 18 mm. The optical phonogram was located in the middle of the film between the frames of the stereo pair.

Shooting an experimental stereo movie “A day off in Moscow” by the two-film method (directed by A. Ptushko, cinematographer N. Renkov).
Shooting an experimental color stereoscopic video (directed by N. Eck, operator F. Provorov) with two paired CKS-1 devices with a common optical nozzle that reduces the base. The shooting was carried out simultaneously on six films, from which two films were printed using a hydrotype method, containing one right and the other left images of stereo pairs.

Experimental screenings of stereo film materials were carried out at the All-Union Scientific Research Film and Photography Institute of NIKFI and at the Cinema House. The projection was carried out on an aluminized screen in polarized light. Polarizing filters in front of lenses and in spectator glasses were made on the basis of herapatite (a dichroic crystal - iodoquine sulfate, first obtained by Herapate in 1853). These filters were manufactured at NIKFI under the guidance of N.A. Valus using the technology he proposed. In Moscow, in the newsreel hall of the Khudozhestvenny cinema, a public demonstration of a stereo film begins “A day off in Moscow.” Subsequently, a color video was pasted to this film, shot by N. Ekk and F. Provorov. The projection was carried out by two synchronously operating projectors on a non-depolarizing translucent glass screen with a frosted surface. The separation was carried out using the polaroid method.

1941. February 4 - The opening of the cinema “Moscow” for public demonstration of stereo films using the glass-less method. The film “Concert" was shown.

home news about us 3Dcinema production awards

....info@stereokino.ru